Who is Danyelle?
D. Danyelle Thomas is a writer, speaker, and advocate who weaves the intersectional narratives of faith, race, and sexuality.
As the voice behind The Unfit Christian, a digital space for commentary on faith, sex/relationships, pop culture, and intersectional identities, Danyelle is an emerging voice who is passionate about using faith as a tool of liberation from racism, sexism, classism, and all systemic inequalities.
Danyelle is a self-described “shot of Henny in Your Communion Cup” who works hard to be the voice of uncomfortable truths at the intersections of faith, identity, and sexuality. Through candor and a relatable voice, she creates advocacy dialogue for social justice of marginalized communities. Her work has an increasing focus on the role of the church in sociocultural issues including LGBTQIA identities, women’s sexual agency, and the increasing unchurched population.
Danyelle is the author of Closed Legs do Get Fed, a self-help guide for abstinence and celibacy practice. She has written for xoNecole and Young, Black, & Married. Her work has also been quoted on Huffington Post. Tallahassee-made and Atlanta-raised, she is a Georgia State University alum with degrees in African American Studies (BA) and Social Public Policy (MPP).
A Consultant by day who loves all things digital design, travel, and food. When not writing, she can be found traveling, creating new digital design pieces, and proclaiming chicken as the gospel bird.
Media & Collaborative Opportunities
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. I am always thrilled to keep my iron sharpened as a speaker, panelist, and host for conferences, events, workshops, and more. I am well versed in the reconciliation of sexuality, faith, and womanhood + love and relationships. For availability, please contact by email at email@example.com or visiting my Contact page.
What is The Unfit Christian?
The Unfit Christian, a loaded title for an equally loaded collection of thoughts, opinions, experiences, and testimonies. You might belong here if:
- You’re a person who professes a belief in God and tends to subscribe to the Christian faith, but is working hard to decolonize their beliefs of the rampant sexism, classism, homophobia, and other harmful –isms that have been promoted through varying theological interpretations.
- You’re a person who often finds themselves on the margins of dominant thought and who is more likely to criticize the norms of the church than to go along with the status quo.
- You believe in making religious spaces safe spaces for all marginalized people (LGBTQ, etc.).
- You’re pro-faith, pro-family, and pro-choice.
- You find yourself rolling your eyes in exasperation at what others typically define as “real” Christianity?
If this sounds like you, well, welcome aboard. You’re The Unfit Christian.